Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Weakness the Overcomes


     Anna reaches for my hand, and then brings it to her mouth about the time a friend walks up to visit. I already know what Anna wants without words; a drink. I give her my “You can wait” look, because I know what prompted this sudden desire. Some one passed by with a drink in their hand, and to Anna that means thirst has suddenly descended. My friend greets me, and then gives an affectionate smile to Anna. Anna wants to hug her, but I firmly hold her away saying “No” Anna’s hugs could be harmful! She‘s a very strong 15 year old, with a young mind; I have seen adults taken down by her loving affection. By this time, my friend has moved on and I’ve noticed the drool running down her mouth; “Whitney, would you get me a paper towel please.” The towel will be soaked before the evening is over, and part of me with it.
 
      There are many things about caring for a special needs child that both parents and siblings do not give much thought to after a while. This is part of living with weakness, but not being overcome by it. There is a special grace given to those who have learned to accept the limitations of this weakness; it’s called “liberty.” So, how is this liberty in limitations possible? How does one have an overcoming life amidst weakness?

  This freedom in weakness has not come overnight to our family, but has been a daily learning of how to yield, and yet still press on.


Others have often observed that my older children seem to have a greater sensitivity, and have naturally concluded that Anna must be linked to this condition of heart. I smile inwardly, knowing that Anna did not change us; 
instead, she exposed us. Her limitations and constant needs showed us our own inadequacies. 

Liberty came to each member of our household only as we saw our lack (i.e. selfishness, independence, laziness) and turned from it to the Father. Therefore, Anna brought us the opportunity that ease and comfort do not readily afford; however, you do not have to have a special needs child to obtain this type of grace! I have met many with a great capacity to grow in this grace, having limitations far greater than my own, but miss seeing God’s purpose in it.

There are three aspects of grace that cover our own personal journey. They are like chapters in a book with many pages. The book is not finished; it’s more like a journal for recording tears and triumphs. God’s mercy and grace has enabled me to more readily turn my pen over to the Father; allowing Him to write His thoughts on the pages that still remain blank. These chapters are still being written, journals revealing our own continuing discoveries of faith, hope and love.

      FAITH is the substances of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. This describes the beginning and progression of our passage. We all long to grow up in Christ, and then, unexpectedly,  faith comes knocking on our door, looking far different than we understood. Before Anna came to us, I saw faith as “moving mountains”. In the years that ensued, I learned faith was built on the common, ordinary stuff of life: changing diapers, washing dishes, laundry, and other daily dirty duties. Since Anna did not fit into the “normal” process of life as we knew it, we had to learn to look beyond what was seen and not grow weary in well doing.

      One thing particular about living with a special needs child is that repetition is the way of life. The next step for your child is not in the text books, and when it comes, it takes you places you would never have gone on your own. Alan and I will never forget the time Anna learned the new skill of opening a door (at the age of 6 years old). We woke up one morning to find her gone, and as her little soul embarked on this new adventure, ours turned into the sober realization of the magnitude of what “progress” would mean for Anna. She was barely walking then, and managed to walk /crawl across our creek, past a road, and half way up our neighbors drive way on a cold, misting February morning. Greater limitations were immediately set in place, out of love for her. 

One thing I have learned about FAITH, is that it does not always look like expanded horizons or greater responsibilities. Sometimes it comes in the fog of not knowing what to do, and placing trust in the Father to guide each step you take. It may come in the form of limitations, sent to show us our need for HIM.


FAITH is not for those who want 

comfort, but those desiring to be 

conformed into HIS image.

      HOPE maketh not ashamed, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us” Romans 5:5. Hope’s children are Anticipation and Patience. Anticipation allows the heart to sing, while patience waits with trust, even in the tightest places. Anna has been a wonderful example of one that needs very little space to be happy. Her needs have made my physical world smaller while expanding my heavenly vision. In the earlier days of my care of Anna, 

I felt like I was missing out at times;
 this mind set held back many treasures of learning. 

HOPE looks up to the unseen One, whereas our own tendency is to look around at others. Paul warned of the danger of comparing ourselves among ourselves; doing this shows that we lack understanding. 

The reason HOPE is not ashamed, or disappointing, is because life becomes centered around the Lord rather than other men. One finding hope in God, is like a star shining in the night, amidst pain, suffering, or trials. The world looks on in awe asking, “Tell me of this hope that allows you to keep your head up in the midst of your suffering?” 

HOPE is a beautifying work that Oswald Chambers expresses in this way, “Have your standpoint in the heavenlies, and you will not think of the afflictions but only of the marvelous way God is working out the inner weight of glory all the time, and you will hail with delight the afflictions which our Lord tells us to expect (John 16:33), the afflictions of which James writes (James 1:2), and of which Peter writes (1 Peter 4:12). Our Lord presented truth in “nugget” form, and in the Epistles, the Apostles beat out these “nuggets” into negotiable gold.” 

HOPE is not for those who want 

happiness, but are only content with 

whatever HEAVEN provides.

       LOVE bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. Love never fails. I Corinthians 13 shows us the excellence of love in action. Love is like the ribbon that ties both Faith and Hope together. When pregnant with our second child I wondered how I could love this child within me any more than my first. The process of nine months and then the labor produce a capacity to love that went beyond my understanding. A verse that has become special to me in Psalms 119:32 “Enlarge my heart that I might run the way of thy commands.” The love we seek here is given by God alone to those who yield to His hand in all things. My older children probably had to face in the earlier years with Anna greater limitations than their peers. It was easier to stay at home, than go out to eat in public or to a home school field trip, especially before Anna could walk on her own. We look back, and have noticed that the greatest struggles that they had to deal with (or any us still deal with) was not what others would think. It was not the fact that we were still potty training at Anna’s 15th year, or constantly cleaning up after her messes, but the little things that invade every home. It was the misplaced brush or socks when it was time to go, feelings of not being understood, or failed expectations. Grace was abundantly there for Anna because we saw our lack from the beginning, and expected nothing for ourselves in the giving. But it seems that the true love of God reaches into the cracks and crevices of our lives showing where SELF has not surrendered to His heart. 

Love is not for those who want 

RETURN, but are willing to 

REPRESENT His name.
      
       In closing, I really do not mean to over-simplify overcoming, but it really is uncomplicated to those who do not mind counting the cost. The cost is YOU, and to whatever degree you allow Him to reign in your heart. There was a time that I thought knowing a few more people who had special needs children would help us, because they would understand and could help. The sweetest gift I received from the Father was to find no one, so guess where I ran?

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, 

from whence cometh my help.

My help cometh form the LORD,

which made heaven and earth.

You just do not understand…” I have often heard from sisters who are married to unbelieving spouses, parents of prodigals and from those with needs to deep for words. My heart wonders if they have been chosen for experiencing Him in a way only given to those who have no where to turn. Will these special ones have the privilege of being taken under the shadow of His Wings? Often these places that have set boundaries around us produce patience, and when allowed to work, we find ourselves wanting nothing because we have all we need in HIM.
  
      So with delight I will take my seat next to Anna, wiping her drool and willingly entering into her limited world. 

Faith, Hope and Love have been birthed 

within my heart and expanded my 

world allowing liberty in limitations 

and strength for weakness.


Anna is currently 24 years old (she has Angelman Syndrome), and remains to be her Momma's greatest in-house teacher.:)

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete