Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Doer Not Teller


Benjamin, go and tell your sister to get Anna's shoes.”

I was in the middle of a task, and Benjamin was in my path.

In his loudest voice he yelled,

Whitney, get Anna's shoes!”

Benjamin, I could have done that...”

Forget it Whitney, she'll do it now!”

I stopped and looked at him...

” No, I could have t o l d her that

(I'm trying not to yell now) 


I wanted you to walk up to her and speak to her.” 


“Oh” 


he says his attention still on his toys.


He still was not “getting it”.

I keep wondering if my Heavenly Father is shaking his head at me,as I am at my son. 

How many times has His still small voice said,


And I'm just not "getting it"?

“Dina, go and do...” 


And I have said with my actions, 


“Lord. I'm kind of in the middle of something...” 


I'm learning that some of our most teachable moments have come, up close

It is easy to get more caught up in telling them what TASK they should do, then taking the     T I M E  needed to teach them that duty. 

“Father, teach me to be a DOER, and not a Teller.”

The most obvious lesson in Christ's teaching is that there is no happiness in having or getting anything, but only in giving.” ~Henry Drummond

“Just as a servant knows that he must first obey his master in
all things, so the surrender to an implicit and unquestionable obedience must become the essential characteristic of our lives.”~Andrew Murray
Can you see the "yell" behind that smiling face above:)  Another picture taken many moons ago. Benjamin is now 18 yrs.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, so true! Paul said to not love in word and speech but rather in deeds and truth.

    Learning to love : )

    charity and brad

    ReplyDelete