Monday, May 2, 2022

A Mary Mind


I have a quiet moment now,
but suddenly I find
that while I have a Mary-heart,
I have a Martha - mind.

The things I thought I'd finished with
are springing back to life
like little flames among the brush
of daily cares and strife.

My thoughts seem filled with "brushfires," and
although I rush and race
as soon as I put out one fire,
another takes its place.

So now I find, when I'm alone
and peace is my desire
my mind's a busy Martha - mind.
tending to one more fire.

O Lord, I know that Martha's hands
are needed, good and kind
But in my heart I've one request
Grant me a Mary- mind.
~Reta Spears-Stewart

"though we all applaud the thought of transformation, most of us don’t appreciate the process that gets us there. 
To be transformed means we have to change
and change too often hurts.”
― Joanna Weaver, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World:

God is more concerned with conforming me to the likeness of His Son than leaving me in my comfort zones. God is more interested in inward qualities than outward circumstances - things like refining my faith, humbling my heart, cleaning up my thought life and strengthening my character.             
 - Joni Eareckson Tada

Father, raise up women who serve without looking back for praise.  Who love, as You love.  Who understand what it means to "sit at your feet".  Who do everything, especially the hidden duties of life, as an act of worship to You.  And give us the ability to walk in Your Joy, as our eyes are on your Eternal purposes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment