Thursday, September 19, 2013

God's Recording Studio

Paul instructed the Thessalonians to “aspire to be tranquil”. I must admit that I have been a slow learner in this regard but I am discovering that this aspiration is far more than a little quiet homestead out in the country where we don't disturb any of our neighbors. 

Tranquility of the inner man is far more crucial to life and peace than any quiet place in an external setting. 

We have become activity addicts. We have a spiritual attention deficit disorder. This is part of the effect of the “evil days” we live in; we are too often slaves of our senses. 

Is this true in our life? 
How comfortable are we
 in complete silence? 
Does our mind ever 
completely rest – 
even in our sleep? 

Is our inner man a sanctuary
 of solitude where we can 
completely shut out
 the noise of all man's 
vain bustling about? 

Does the surface of our heart ever look like the glass top of a lake in the early morning light – when you can clearly see heaven on its surface?

Is this why so few of us ever hear the voice of God? The tranquility of the soul is God's recording studio. How can the still small voice of God be recorded over the irritating interference of our loud living? You can rest assured that anything recorded amidst all the background noise will never be worth listening to. 

We need to construct a
 spiritual sound studio
 where the noise 
of our flesh,
 its continual crying
 to be pampered 
can not penetrate 
the recording studio of solitude.

Long before I had any inkling of its true meaning. I learned a song as a youth that some how stuck in a very cluttered mind. One of the lines of the song stand out to me now more than ever before:

There is a quiet place
Far from the rapid pace
Where God can soothe my troubled mind.

Sheltered by tree and flower
There is my quiet hour
With him my cares are left behind.

Whether a garden small.
Or on a mountain tall
New strength and courage there I find.

And then from that quiet place
I go prepared to face
A new day with love for all mankind.

I am beginning to see more of what Paul meant -we all need to aspire to retire! We should cease from our works and BE STILL and KNOW that I Am God! There in the inner sanctuary of the tranquilized soul - God's voice will be recorded on our hearts – and it will be a song worth playing over and over again.
Written by Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment