Tuesday, June 11, 2019

The Sound of Distant Laughter


These past two weeks have been filled with more laughter, than I can remember. Last night, several of my children and I laughed ourselves to tears. Then the shadows come, and you quickly forget the laughter. It is strange how when the lights dim, the gift of laughter is hard to find sometimes.  I think darkness is given to teach us to REMEMBER the things we can not see, and value the things that we take for granted.   They teach us to walk by Faith, and not by Sight or how we feel.  It reminded me of a very old journal writing, that I thought I would re-post. Shadows will pass, but His faithfulness is always present, when its dark and when light is filling the room with laughter.


It was dark and quiet. All were lying down for the night; then I heard the laughter. My head laid down comfortably on my pillow, and my first thought was “I really should tell them (the boys) to quiet down and get to sleep”, but for some reason, just this night, the laughter ministered to me. It has been an intense week. I have noticed that as we grow older the blows of life take us down longer than when we were younger.

Laughter is more of a gift than a common friend.

As I reflect on the difference between the young and the old, I see one clear difference between the two. The young have the ability to trust in those who care for them to carry their loads. Laughter and joy come easy, for trust is the air they breathe. So why can I not learn from them?

Heavenly Father, I give you my load today. Yes, I trust You to handle it better than I. Let Your joy and laughter flow through my life, as a clear song to the honor of You, of a life of faith.

One who knows how to walk in laughter and joy in the deepest sense, has learned how to sing their songs in the darkest nights. They are the children of the Father who have learned the secret of a trust and assurance of His love. They know of the hiding place of rest. They carry the treasures of knowing Him. They walk with Him, alone and find His approval far more important than anything this world could ever offer.

"Spirit filled souls are ablaze for God. They love with a love that glows. They serve with a faith that kindles. They serve with a devotion that consumes. They hate sin with fierceness that burns. They rejoice with a joy that radiates. Love is perfected in the fire of God." ~Samuel Chadwick

The above was penned about the same time the picture was taken; many, many moons ago.



1 comment:

  1. Earlier this week, the Lord spoke to me as I watched my children at play: "Receive from them." And it was as if I heard the same lesson you just shared, Dina.
    Could this be what it means to "become like a little child" . . .
    -Kelli
    P.S. They sure are cuties! :)

    ReplyDelete